Tsediso Michael Makoelle
PhD, Educational Psychology (with specialization in Inclusive Education), University of Manchester, UK
D Ed, Education Leadership & Management, University of South Africa
M Ed, Psychology of Education, University of Free State, South Africa
B Ed (Hons), Educational Psychology, Nelson Mandela University, South Africa
BA, Psychology & Education, University of South Africa
PGDE, Psychology of Education, University of Free State South Africa
FDE, Education Leadership & Management , University of Pretoria, South Africa
STD, Secondary Teachers Diploma, College of Education, South Africa
Cert. ,University leadership, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDIE 652: Curriculum Design: perspectives on Addressing Barriers to Teaching and Learning (Including SEN)
- EDUC 662: Meeting special educational need, curriculum, teaching
- EDUC 660: Theories of Inclusive Education
- EDUC 601: Leadership, Planning and Change Management
- EDUC 615: Perspectives on Inclusive Education
Thematic areas of research specialization:
Early childhood education
Early childhood education: inclusive early childhood teaching and learning environments
School education: School Effectiveness & Improvement, Leadership & Change management
Higher education: inclusive higher education curriculum, policy & practices, teacher education and inclusion
Inclusive education: : curriculum , teaching and learning, assessment, leadership in Inclusive education settings
Geographic areas of research specialization (countries): Kazakhstan, South Africa, SADEC Countries
2014: Thuthuka Funding, National Research Foundation ,South Africa, Principal Investigator
Publications and presentations:
- Makoelle, T.M.& Torrano, D. (forthcoming). Inclusive Education in Kazakhstan. Netherlands: Sense Publishers
- Makoelle, T.M.(forthcoming-2018). Action Research: a critical praxis. Stellenbosch: Sun Media Press Publishers
- Makoelle, T.M.(2016). Inclusive Teaching in South Africa. Stellenbosch: Sun Media Press Publishers, SBN 978-1-928355-02-1 ISBN 978-1-928355-03-8 (e-book) DOI: 0.18820/9781928355038
Selected Book Chapters
- Makoelle, T.M.& Somerton, M. (2018). Facilitating a Post-Graduate Inclusive Learning and Teaching through Digital Technology: a case of a Kazakhstani University Context: IGI Publishing, Portugal.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2018). Multiculturalism Through Transformative Teaching and Learning, New York: Nova Publishers, USA.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2015). Disability a social discourse: who is disabled? In Magano D & Ramnarian U, Teaching Sustainability in the 21stcentury, Pretoria: Pearson, ISBN: 9781775952992.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2015). Gender and disability: who is enabled finally? In Magano D &Maguvhe. Disability in Context; a socio-educational perspective in South Africa, Pretoria: Cengage Learning, ISBN: 978-1-4737-1907-1
- Makoelle, T.M.(2010). Action Research: a tool of stimulating reflection and innovation among teacher researchers in Francis, D., Mahlomaholo, S., & Nkoane, M. (2010).Praxis Towards Sustainable Empowering Learning Environments in South Africa. Bloemfontein; Sun Media Press Publishers.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2009). Outcomes-based education as a curriculum for change: acritical analysis in Piper, H., Piper, J. and Mahlomaholo, S. (2009) Educational Research and Transformation in South Africa, Lynnwood Ridge: Science Africa.
Selected Journal Articles
- Makoelle, T.M. & du Plessis, P. ( for submission, 2018). Analyzing Principals Policy Perceptions of Educators Disciplinary Procedure: cases in Gauteng province of South Africa: Sage Open Journal.
- Makoelle, T.M.& Makhalemele, T. (for submission, 2018). Teacher Leadership in South African Schools: Sage Open Journal.
- Makoelle, T.& Omarova, T. (for submission, 2018). Inclusive Education in Kazakhstan: achievements and challenges: Interchange: Springer.
- Makoelle, T.M. & Malindi, M.J. (2015). Resilience: a framework for inclusive pedagogy. Electronic Journal of Inclusive Education, vol 3 no 3. libraries.wright.edu/ejie/vol3/iss3/2/
- Makoelle, T.M. (2012). The State of Inclusive Pedagogy in South Africa: a literature review. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology 3(2): 93-102. https://doi.org/10.1080/09766634.2012.11885569
- Makoelle, T.M. (2012). Analysing the use of Action Research to Develop Practices of Inclusion: a case of a South African school. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology,3 (2): 83-91. https://doi.org/10.1080/09766634.2012.11885568
- Botha, R. J. & Makoelle T.M. (2012). Exploring Practices Determining School effectiveness. A Case Study in Selected South African Secondary Schools. International Journal of Education Sciences, 4(2): 79-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2012.11890030
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Changing teacher beliefs and attitudes towards inclusion in South Africa: lessons from collaborative action research. Journal of Social Sciences,38 (2): 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/09718923.2014.11893242
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). School based support teams as communities of enquiry: a case of developing inclusive practices. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 7(1) 67-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2014.11890170
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Inclusion and sport; analysis from South African schools. Electronic Journal of Inclusive Education 3 (2). libraries.wright.edu › EJIE ›
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Exploring effective teaching practices for inclusion: a case of a South African secondary school. International Journal of Education Sciences, 7(1)183-192. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2014.11890181
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). School effectiveness and inclusion: cases of selected secondary schools in South Africa. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 5 (14) 131-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2014.11890176
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Exploring Factors contributing to school improvement in South African secondary schools. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 7(1) 120-130. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2014.11890175
- Makoelle, T.M. & Malindi, M.J. (2014). Multi-grade teaching and inclusion: selected cases in the Free State province. International Journal of Educational Sciences,7 (1) 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2014.11890171
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Inclusion and exclusion: rural teachers and learners’ experiences: cases in the Free State province: The Anthropologist,18(3): 1097-1104. https://doi.org/10.1080/09720073.2014.11891592
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014). Inclusive education: are we there? Some global challenges, Contradictions and anomalies. Journal of Sociology and Sociology Anthropology, 5(3): 303-309. https://doi.org/10.1080/09766634.2014.11885634
- Kioko, V. & Makoelle, T.M. (2014) Inclusivity: an exploratory study into learning and teaching experiences of disabled students at Winchester University. International Education Studies, 7 (6) 106-116. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539ies.v7n6p106
Makoelle, T.M. (2014) Cognitive justice: a road map for equitable inclusive learning environments. International Journal of Education and Research, 2 No. 7: 505-518.
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014) Information Communication Technology (ICT) and inclusive pedagogy. International Journal of Education and Research. 2 No. 7: 519-534.
- Makoelle, T.M. (2014) Pedagogy of inclusion: a quest for social justice and Sustainable learning environments. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5 No 17: 1257-1269.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2012). Social Communication and Inclusive Teaching Practices: an action research case. Communitus, Special Issue, Communitas,17 (1): 199-215.
Conference Papers (Only recent keynotes)
- Makoelle, T.M.(2017). Inclusive Education in Kazakhstan, presented at the 1st Annual Kazakhstan Research Association Conference held at Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan, 9-11Fenruary 2017.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2017). Inclusive Education in Kazakhstan: Achievement and challenges, presented at Ministry of Education and Science Seminar, The criteria of evaluation of educational achievements of students in the transition to the updated content of curriculum, held at Turkestan Street. Republican School of Physics and Mathematics, Astana, Kazakhstan, 23 February 2017.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2016). Multicultural Education as a Strategy for One Belt, One Road Cultural Exchange and Integration, presented at International Conference, One Belt, One Road Industry/Education Integration and Enterprises Development, held by the National Centre for Schooling Development Programme, China Ministry of Education and ZET Corporation in Beijing, China, 05-06 December 2016.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2016). Inclusive Education Approach in Higher Education: a case of Kazakhstan, presented at Bologna International Conference held in Astana, Kazakhstan 25 October 2016.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2014). Inclusion of learners in a culturally alien school environment: cases of cultural resilience in a South African school context, Proceeding of World Congress on Special Needs Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, USA 11-14 August 2014, ISBN: 978-1-908320-33-9: pp 24.
- Mafumbate R, Makoelle T.M.& Magano, D. (2013). An exploratory study on children at risk: a case of orphans’ social and intellectual wellness in Masvingo urban, Zimbabwe, presented at The 40th Annual International Conference of SASE, Mafikeng Campus (North-West University), South Africa, 26-28 September 2013.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2014) Becoming an Inclusive teacher: dispelling beliefs and attitudes: Presented at Teacher Upfront Seminar, Sci-Bono Discovery Centre, Johannesburg,South Africa, 25th March 2014.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2014) Inclusion in Higher Education: A quest for Epistemic Access, presented at SOTL Seminar, University of Johannesburg, South Africa, 21 August 2014.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2014) Inclusion in Higher Education: A quest for Epistemic Access, presented at SURLE, University of Free State ,Bloemfontein, South Africa 29th to 31st October 2014.
- Makoelle, T.M.(2012) learning challenges and difficulties with teacher training in inclusive education. Inclusive Education Conference., Johannesburg, South Africa, 25 October 2012.