- About us
- Professional development
- Campus Life
- About us
- Professional development
- Campus Life
PhD in Inclusive Education, 2004
Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
“Understanding Sustainable Inclusive Education Development: Lessons From A School And Its Communities In Rural South Africa”
M.Ed in Inclusive Education, 1996 (Cum Laude)
University of Natal, South Africa
“Inclusion of the Deaf in South Africa”
- Inclusive Education
- Special Education
- Disability Studies
- Race and Ethnicity in Education
Inclusive Education in developing countries; policy and practice in inclusive education; disability and special needs in education; diversity in education
Asia, Africa, Middle East, Europe
- Inclusion of Refugee children from Syria in Queensland – Griffith University
- An evaluation of Inclusive Education for marginalized groups in Mongolia (2017) – Asian Development Bank
- Situation Analysis of Inclusive education Resource Centres in Ethiopia (2013) - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finland.
- Situation Analysis of Inclusive Education Training Courses in Cambodia (Principal Researcher), funded by Czech Development Corporation (October 2012 – March 2013) – Caritas
- SEN and Ethnicity in England (2005-06) – Department of Education
- Provisioning for pupils with Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD) in Northern Ireland (2003) – Northern Ireland Education Board
- Outcomes and Destinations of Pupils on return from Out-Authority Special Schools in England (2003) – Local Government Agency
Books and Book Chapters
- Pather, S. and Slee, R. (2018). ‘Dilemmas in the Field: Doing Inclusive Education Elsewhere’ In Slee, R., Best, M. and Corcoran, T. (2018). Studies in Inclusive Education. Netherlands: Sense Publishing
- Pather, S. (2017). ‘Urban Education and Inclusion in Africa: Section Editor’s Introduction’. In Pink, W.T. and Noblit, G.W. Second Handbook of Urban Education. New York: Springer.
- Pather, S. (2013). ‘Evidence on Inclusion and Support for Learners with Impairments in Mainstream Schools in South Africa: off the policy radar?’ In Singal, N. Disability, Poverty and Education. Oxon: Routledge.
- Pather, S. (2008) ‘Demystifying the notion of ‘inclusion’ in the context of a rural school and its communities in South Africa’ In Muthukrishna, A. (Ed.) Educating for social justice and inclusion: pathways and transitions in an African context. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Pather, S. (forthcoming, April 2019). Inclusive Education in the Developing World. Melbourne: Springer.
- Pather, S. and Slee, R. (Eds) (forthcoming, Sept 2018). Inclusive Education in Africa. Netherlands: Sense Publishing
- Pather, S. Gizachew, S. and Tadesse, A. (in press). The role of Itinerant teachers in Resource Centres in Ethiopia. Oxford Encyclopedia for School reform. Oxford University Press.
- Pather, S. (2011). Evidence on Inclusion and Support for Learners with Impairments in Mainstream Schools in South Africa: off the policy radar? International Journal of Inclusive Education (special edition).
- Pather, S. and Nxumalo, C. (2011).’Challenging Understandings of Inclusive Education Policy Development in Southern Africa through Comparative Reflection. International Journal of Inclusive Education (special edition).
- Šiška,J., van Swet, J., Pather, S. and Rose, D. (2011). From Vision to Reality: managing tensions in the development and implementation of an international collaborative partnership programme for institutional change and sustainable development in inclusive education. International Journal of Inclusive Education. (special edition).
- Pather, S. (2007) ‘Demystifying inclusion: Implications for more sustainable inclusive practice’. International Journal of Inclusive Education. Vol 11, Issue 5&6, Pp.627 – 643.
- Pather, S.(2004) 'Attempts to achieve development in education through partnerships: interrogating notions and methods of building local capacity from the inside' The Development Education Journal, 10 (2) pp 15–17.
Research Project Reports
- Pather, S. and Dovdondor, U. (February 2017). Sustaining Access and Quality Education of Education During Economic Difficulties: Inclusive Education. Manila: Asian Development Bank
- Pather (2016). Collection of Base-line data for WP 2 DISEN Pathway (Part 1) Institution Interviews. Canterbury. Canterbury Christ Church University.
- Pather, S. (2013). Situation Analysis of Resource Centres. Ethiopia: Ministry of Education
- Pather, S. and Siska, J. (2012). Situation Analysis of Inclusive Education Training Courses in Cambodia. Prague: Caritas.
- Lindsay, G.; Pather, S.; Strand, S. (2006) SEN and Ethnicity: a Literature Review. DfES Research report
- Fletcher-Campbell, F. and Pather, S. (Oct 2003). Outcomes and Destinations of Pupils on Return from Out Authority Special Schools, LGA Report, NFER: Slough
- Pather, S. (2003) Understanding Sustainable Inclusive Education Development: Lessons from a School and its Communities in Rural South Africa. Unpublished PhD Thesis. Canterbury Christ Church University, UK.
- Muthukrishna, A., Schoeman, M., Ntombela, T., and Pather, S. (2000). Developing Sustainable Inclusive Education Policy and Practice in South Africa. UNESCO report. Faculty of Education, University of Natal, Durban