Specialization: Educational measurement
- PhD in Education [International Higher Education: International student engagement and retention across Australasian universities] The University of Auckland, NZ, March 2015
- Master of Education, 1st class hons [Linguistics: South Korean second language student attitude, motivation, and performance] The University of Waikato, NZ, 2008
- Classical and Modern Test Theory Course [completed 2018]
52-hour in-house course provided by Professor Margaret Wu: Rasch modelling, 2-, 3-, and 4-PL models, DIF, assessment validity, and sample survey methodology.
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDSE 690 Thesis Seminar
- EDUC 675 Learning to Work
- EDUC 671 Work-Based Project
- EDUC 630 Assessment Theories, Policies, and Practice
Thematic Areas of Specialization:
Assessment (small and large-scale)
Youth/Adult Program Evaluation
Educational Measurement and Statistics
R/ R Markdown/ R Shiny applications
Application of Item-Response Theory (IRT), Multi-Level Modelling(stepwise/growth), Value-Added Modelling(VAM), & Structural Equation Modelling(SEM) in educational research.
Australia and New Zealand, Africa, Central Asia, The World.
1. Co-Investigator [2020 Project, NUGSE]
PROJECT TITLE: Improving the Quality of Initial Teacher Education in Kazakhstan: Using Stakeholder Perspectives for Innovation and Research Capacity Building [Principal Investigator: Professor Elaine Sharplin].
12,000 USD [16,708 AUD]
2. Co-Investigator [2020 Project, NUGSE]
PROJECT TITLE: Teacher Leadership in Kazakhstan [Principal Investigator: Dr Gulmira Qanay].
12,000 USD [16,708 AUD]
3. Co-Investigator [2018 Project, University of Melbourne]
PROJECT TITLE: Wilson, M., Wolfe, R., & Courtney, M. G. R. (Nov, 2018). Technical Review of NAPLAN Online. Federal Report Commissioned by the Australian Education Senior Officials Committee (AESOC).
4. Co-Investigator [2017 Project, University of Melbourne]
PROJECT TITLE: McGaw, B., Luo, R., Collins, M., Courtney, M. G. R., & Nguyen, C. (2017). Evaluation of the External Assessment Trials for Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority. Milestone reports 3 to 5: Analysis of Test Data and Reliability [responsible for co-authoring grant application, and reporting of PE/Visual Arts/Japanese IRT analysis and results].
5. Co-Investigator [2017 Project, University of Melbourne]
PROJECT TITLE: Kushner, S., Cochise, A., Courtney, M. G. R., Sinnema, C., & Brown, G. (2016). International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme in Aotearoa New Zealand: A case-study in whole-school innovation. Bethesda, MD: International Baccalaureate Organization.
TOTAL AUD: 678,378
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Panadero, E., Brown, G. T., & Courtney, M. G. R. (2014). Teachers’ reasons for using self-assessment: A survey self-report of Spanish teachers. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 21(4), 365-383. doi: 10.1080/0969594X.2014.919247 (H = 39; Q1)
- Langdon, F., Alexander, P. A., Tesar, M., Courtney, M. G. R., & Palmer, M. (2016). Induction and mentoring in early childhood educational organizations: embracing the complexity of teacher learning in contexts. Teaching and Teacher Education, 57, 150-160. doi: 10.1016/j.tate.2016.03.016 (H = 114; Q1)
- Kitchen, M., Jeurissen, M., Gray, S., & Courtney, M. G. R. (2017). Teacher engagement with academic reading in a post-service TESOL course Teacher engagement with academic reading in a post-service TESOL course. Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 6(2), 260-270. doi: 10.17509/ijal.v6i2 (H = 7, Q2)
- Courtney, M. G. R. (2018). Emerging Academic and Social Spaces: Toward a Modern Understanding of International Student Integration in Australasia. International Journal of Cyber Behavior, Psychology, and Learning, 8(3), 36-47. doi: 10.4018/IJCBPL.2018070104 (H = 14; Q4)
- Lee-Morgan, J., Courtney, M. G. R., & Muller, M. (2019). New Zealand Māori-Medium Teacher Education: An Examination of Students' Academic Confidence and Preparedness. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education. doi: 10.1080/1359866X.2018.1539214 (H = 32; Q1)
- Lee, K., Courtney, M. G. R., McGlashan, A., Neveldsen, P., Toso, M. (2019). Initial teacher education students’ perceptions of technology and technology education in New Zealand. International Journal of Technology and Design Education. doi: 10.1007/s10798-019-09516-6 (H = 37; Q1)
Youth Program Evaluation
- Chapman, C. M., Deane, K. L., Harré, N., Courtney, M. G. R., & Moore, J. (2017). Engagement and mentor support as drivers of social development in the Project K youth development program. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 1-12. doi: 10.1007/s10964-017-0640-5 (H = 110; Q1)
- Deane, K., Harré, N., Moore, J., & Courtney, M. G. R. (2016). The impact of the Project K Youth Development Program on self-efficacy: a randomized control trial. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, March 6, 1-22. doi: 10.1007/s10964-016-0463-9 (H = 110; Q1)
Statistical Tools/R Shiny Applications
- Courtney, M. G. R., & Chang, K. (2018). Dealing with non-normality: An introduction and step-by-step guide using R. Teaching Statistics, 40(2), 51-59. doi: 10.1111/test.12154 (H = 12; Q4)
R package details: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/normalr/normalr.pdf
Online app: https://kcha193.shinyapps.io/normalr/
- Courtney, M. G. R. (2013). Determining the number of factors to retain in EFA: Using the SPSS R-Menu v-2.0 to make more judicious estimations. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 18(8). Retrieved from https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1305&context=pare (H = 48; Q2)
Encyclopedia Chapters [Educational Measurement]
- Courtney, M. G. R. (2018). The Repeated Measures ANOVA. In B. Frey (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of education research, measurement and evaluation (pp. 1403-1407). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. doi. 10.4135/9781506326139.n585
- Courtney, M. G. R. (2018). The Pearson Correlation Coefficient. In B. Frey (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of education research, measurement and evaluation (pp. 1229-1233). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. doi. 10.4135/9781506326139.n510
- Courtney, M. G. R. (2018). IBM SPSS Statistics. In B. Frey (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of education research, measurement and evaluation (pp. 1577-1583). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. doi. 10.4135/9781506326139.n655
- Cloney, D., Anderson, P., Courtney, M., Robertson, S., Anzai, D., & Davies, B. (2019). Evaluation of Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation’s Early Language and Literacy Program: The Overcoming Disadvantage in Early Childhood study protocol. The Australian Council for Educational Research Ltd (ACER). Australia: Camberwell.
- Qanay, G., Nam, A., & Courtney, M. G. R. (2020). Teacher Leadership in Kazakhstan Initiative. Progress Report (Year 1). Graduate School of Education: Nazarbayev University, June, 2020.