PhD in Curriculum, Teaching and Learning, 2005
University of Toronto, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, Toronto, Canada
“The Beginning Teachers’ Professional Socialization in Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: Challenges and Coping Strategies”, adviser: Dennis Thiessen
Master of Education in Teacher Education, 1998
Aga Khan University, Institute for Educational Development, Karachi, Pakistan
“Reconceptualization of Assessment Practices in a Developing Country Context” (with Distinction), adviser: Robert Baker
English teacher diploma, 1993
Osh State University, Department of Foreign Languages
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDUC 600 Research Methods in Education (Qualitative)
- EDUC 612 Professional Identity
- EDSE 630 Professional Identity
- EDUC 701 Education Research Methods (Qualitative)
- EDUC 670/671 Work-Based / Internship Project
- EDUC 675 Learning to Work
- EDUC 750 Dissertation Research
- EDSE 692 Thesis Seminar
Other cross-sectional issues in education
Curriculum issues, teaching and learning, assessment, leadership, teacher identity, educational reform and policy, teacher development, research capacity, school improvement
Central Asia and Eurasia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan), South Asia (Pakistan)
- Promoting tri-lingual education in Kazakhstan by applying CLIL model into teaching process at multilingual schools within the context of state program: Language Development 2011-2020 (MOES grant, won together with Davran Gaipov of SDU) in 2015. NU Seed Grant in 2014
- Review of Early Grade Reading (Review of current pedagogy, materials and factors affecting early grade reading). Commissioned by JBS International for USAID in 2011
- Impact Evaluation Study of USAID’s education project titled Quality Learning Project in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. By JBS International in 2011
- The baseline survey on a project “Improving Access to Quality Primary Education in Hajja, Yemen” and the study was commissioned by CARE International in 2011
- The Comparative Analysis of National Testing Centres in Four Countries. The project is commissioned by Open Society Institute in 2010
- Grant from Canadian International Development Agency to conduct a project “Educational Development for Central Asia” in 2008. The project explored mechanisms and procedures of peer review as one of the vital means to develop and ensure quality of scholarly publications
- Research study titled “Experiences of Primary Teacher Deployment in Pakistan” together with Rizvi, M and Siddiqui, N. Research project was commissioned by the Commonwealth in 2006.
- Usmanova Turgunai and Shamatov Duishon (2018), Традиционные и альтернативные формы оценивания знаний выпускников средней школы (Traditional and alternative forms of assessment of school graduates) in International scientific-practical journal “Mir Pedagogiki i Psikhologii”, # 2(19). 2018. link http://scipress.ru/pedagogy/articles/traditsionnye-i-alternativnye-formy-otsenivaniya-znanij-vypusknikov-srednej-shkoly.html
- Shamatov, D. (2017). Critical review of purposes of assessment. Published in Pedagogic Dialogue, Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools, Center of Excellence, Number 1 (19), 2017. Pp. 44-49.
- Yakavets, N., Bridges, D.& Shamatov, D. (2017). On constructs and the construction of teachers’ professional knowledge in a post-Soviet context. Journal of Education for Teaching: International Research and Pedagogy. February 2017. Pp. 1-22.
- Madina Ashirimbetova, Davronzhon Gaipov and Duishonkul Shamatov (2016). Review on the Trilingual Education System in Bilingual Kazakhstan, Pp. 110-116. In Reconsidering the Practice of CLIL and ELT, Narva College of University of Tartu, 2016.
- Shamatov, D. (2016). National scholarship testing in Kyrgyzstan. In Pedagogic Dialogue, Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools, Center of Excellence, Number 4 (18), 2016. Pp. 84-110.
- Shamatov, D. & Issenova, F. (2016). Kazakhstani PhD students’ publication in impactfactor journals. Higher Education of Kazakhstan, Center of Bologna Process and Academic Mobility, MOES, Kazakhstan. Number 3, 2016. Pp. 66-70.
- Shamatov, D. (2015). Country study report on pedagogical approaches: Case of Kyrgyzstan. Pp. 90-123. In Hau-Fai Law, E. & Miura, U. (Eds.). Transforming Teaching and Learning in Asia and the Pacific: Case studies of seven countries. Bangkok: UNESCO.
- Shamatov, D. (2015). Educational reforms: search for the factors that bring success (in Russian). Pp.13-15. Pedagogicheskiy vestnik (Pedagogy news), Number 3(59) Journal of Orleu of East Kazakhstan.
- Shamatov, D. (2014). Максат жана билим беруу (Goals of Education) in a Kyrgyz language journal “Shookum”, in January 2014.
- Shamatov D together with Sarfaroz Niyozov. (2014), Cooperative learning: experiences of teachers and their perspectives. Pp.8-23. In Trener-education, October 2014. Volume 5.
- Shamatov, D. (2014). Жаш мугалимдер жардамга муктаж (Young teachers need support) in a Kyrgyz language journal “Shookum”, September 2014. Pp.12-15
- Shamatov, D. (2014). Improving research and publication in Central Asia. Vestnik of International University of Kyrgyzstan. # 2 (26), 2014. Pp.108-111. 2013
- Shamatov, D. (2012). “Impact of Standardized Tests on Equity Issues in Kyrgyzstan,” in European Education’s special volume titled the New Educational Assessment Regimes in Eurasia: Impacts, Issues and Implications. Guest edited by Alan DeYoung and Todd Drummond.
- Shamatov, D. Окуу кондумдорун калыптандыруу койгойлору (Issues of developing reading skills) in Shookum journal, pp 14-15, Number 9 (61), September of 2011. 2010
- Shamatov, D., Schatz, E. & Niyozov, N. Publications for Improving Scholarship in Central Asia, American University in Central Asia Academic Review, Number 1 (11): 172-179, 2010.
- Ysmaiylov, S., Joldoshalieva, R., Kabylov, T., & Shamatov, D. A. “Hopes and fears of Kyrgyzstan’s students” in Shookum, in 9 (26) September, 2008, pp. 10-12 and 11 (28) November, 2008, pp. 12-15.
- Holden, C., Joldoshalieva, R., & Shamatov, D. (2008). “I would like to say that things must just get better”, International Journal Citizenship Teaching and Learning, Volume 4, Number 2, pp. 6-17.
- Shamatov, D.A. (2007). Challenges of improving teachers’ assessment practices. Journal of Research and Reflection in Education, June 2007, Vol.1, No.1, pp 28-56. Available at http://www.ue.edu.pk/jrre/1-002.pdf
- Niyozov, S. & Shamatov, D. (2006). Trading or teaching: Dilemmas of everyday life economy in Central Asia, Inner Asia (8), 229-262.
- Shamatov, D.A. (2006). Beginning teachers’ professional socialization in post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: Challenges and coping strategies. Conference proceedings published at the International Conference “Quality in Education: Teaching and Learning in Challenging Times” at Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development. Pp.601-613. http://ecommons.aku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1112&context=book_chapters
- Shamatov, D.A. (2006). A conceptual discussion of research ethics. Vestnik of Osh State University. Number 1 and 2, Osh, Kyrgyzstan, pp. 247-250.
- Shamatov, D.A. (2006). Teaching and trading: Local voices and global issues. Vestnik of Osh State University. Number 1 and 2, Osh, Kyrgyzstan, pp. 244-247. 2005
- Ashraf, D., Khaki, J.A., Shamatov, D.A., Tajik, M.A., & Vazir, N. (2005). Reconceptualization of teacher education: Experiences from the context of a multicultural developing country. Journal of Transformative Education, 3(3), July 2005, pp. 271-288.
Chapters in edited volumes
- Shamatov, D. (in press). “Role of School Administrators’ Support and Induction of Beginning Teachers in Kyrgyzstan” for a Book titled Educational LEADERSHIP: LESSONS FROM THE LESS DEVELOPED COUNTRIES. Editors: Jan-e-Alam Khaki, Gulab Khan, Sadruddin Qutoshi, Mola Dad Shafa, and Almas Kiyani
- Shamatov, D. (in press). “Teacher Education in Kazakhstan” in “International Handbook of Teacher Education Worldwide, 2nd edition”, K.G.Karras, C.C. Wolhuter (eds)
- Shamatov, D. (in press). “Teacher Education in Kyrgyzstan” in “International Handbook of Teacher Education Worldwide, 2nd edition”, K.G.Karras, C.C. Wolhuter (eds)
- Bahry, S., Niyozov, S., Shamatov, D., Ahn, E., & Smagulova, J. (2017). Bilingual education in Central Asia. In O.Garcia, A.Lin, and S.A.May (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Language and Education, 3rd Edition, Volume 5: Bilingual Education. New York: Springer Science + Business Media, pp. 259-280.
- Shamatov, D., A.Mamytov and S.Iptarov. (2014). “Impact of National Scholarship Test on Equity Issues in Kyrgyzstan.” Volume1: Poverty and Social Class in the series International Advances in Education: Global Initiatives for Equity and Social Justice. E.L. Brown and P.C.Gorski (Eds.). Information Age Publishing.
- Shamatov, D. (2014). A book chapter titled “Education Quality in Kyrgyzstan” for the WCCES book “Qualities of education in a globalized world” edited by Diane Brook Napier, Clementina Acedo and Alan Pitman
- Shamatov, D. (2013). Everyday realities of a young teacher in post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: A case of history teacher from a rural school. In a book entitled Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: Political and Social Challenges (editors: Pinar Akcali and Cennet Engin Demir) by Routledge
- Shamatov, D. and Sainazarov, K. (2010). The Impact of Standardized Tests on Education Quality in Kyrgyzstan: A Case of PISA 2006 in The Impact of International Achievement Studies on National Education Policymaking, International Perspectives on Education and Society Series published by Emerald Publishing, Volume 13, Alexander Wiseman (Ed.)
- Shamatov, D. and Niyozov, S. (2010). Teachers Surviving to Teach: Implications for Post-Soviet Education and Society in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan in J. Zajda (Ed.), Globalization, Ideology and Education Policy Reforms: Globalization, Comparative Education and Policy Research. Volume 11
- Shamatov, D. and Joldoshalieva, R. (2010). Teacher Training in Kyrgyzstan in International Handbook on Teacher Training, a new volume dedicated to Teachers Training in the World (editors: Charl Wolhuter and K.Karras)
- Bahry, S., Niyozov, S. & Shamatov, D. (2008). Bilingual education in Central Asia. In J. Cummins and N. H. Hornberger (Eds), Encyclopedia of Language and Education, 2nd Edition, Volume 5: Bilingual education, 205-224
- Joldoshalieva, R. & Shamatov, D. (2007). Hopes and fears for the future: Voices of children from Kyrgyzstan. In A.Pandian & M. Kell (Eds.), Literacy: Diverse Perspectives and Pointers for Practice. Serdang, Malaysia: Universiti Putra Malaysia Press, 330-339
- Ashraf, D., Khaki, J., Shamatov, D.A, Tajik, M., & Vazir, N. (2004). Addressing multicultural issues in teacher education: Experiences from Pakistan. In K. Mundel & D. Schugurensky, Lifelong citizenship learning, participatory democracy and social change. Toronto, Canada: Transformative Learning Center, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto
- Shamatov, D. (2015). Book Review in European Education: The book title is David Bridges (Ed.), 2014. Educational Reform and Internationalisation: The Case of School Reform in Kazakhstan. UK: Cambridge University Press
- Bahry, S., Karimova, Y., Shamatov, D. (2015). Review of J.M. Landau & B.KellerHeinkele (2012), Language Politics in Contemporary Central Asia, London & New York: Tauris. Language Policy, 14(1), 95-97
- Stephen Bahry, Yuliya Karimova and Duishon Shamatov (2013), a book review of Jacob Landau and Barbara Kellner-Heinkele’s “Language Politics in Contemporary Central Asia: National and Ethnic Identity and the Soviet Legacy” in a journal Language Policy, September 2013
- Shamatov, A book review of Landau, J. M. and Kellner-Heinkele, B. (2012). Language Politics in Contemporary Central Asia: National and Ethnic Identity and the Soviet Legacy. London: I. B. Tauris for the journal Language Policy
- Shamatov, D, Book review of I Silova (ed.), Globalization on the Margins: Education and Postsocialist Transformations in Central Asia, Information Age Publishing, in Comparative Education Review, vol. 56 no. 1, 2012, pp.187-190
- Shamatov, D. Review of a book by De Young, A., Reeves, M. & Valyaeva, G.K. (2006). Surviving the transition? Case studies of schools and schooling in the Kyrgyz Republic since independence. In Central Asian Survey, June 2007, 26(2), 304-306