PhD, 2017, Higher Education
Pennsylvania State University, USA
Cognate in Education Theory and Policy
Dissertation title: Organizational Socialization, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover Intent Among Faculty of an Emerging Research University in a Post-Soviet Context
MSc in Education (Higher Education Administration and Policy)
Northwestern University, USA, 2007
Thesis title: Building Intercultural Competence Through Study Abroad in Kazakhstan
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDUC 602: Education Context and Reform in Kazakhstan, Fall 2017
- EDHE 621: Education Policy Analysis and Development, Fall 2017
- EDUC 670/71: Internship/Work-based project, Spring 2018
- EDUC 600: Research Methods I (quantitative), Spring 2018
- Higher education governance
- Faculty (mobility, international, productivity, satisfaction)
- World-class universities
- Organizational change
- Higher Education Sector Analysis for Kazakhstan (World Bank, 2015)
- The Road Map for Education Development Project (Ministry of Education and Science RK, 2013 and 2015)
- Advancing Models of Best Practice in Academic Governance and Management in Kazakhstan (Ministry of Education and Science RK, 2014-2016)
- Kazakhstan Education Initiative Project (Nazarbayev Fund, 2009)
- Poverty Assessment in Kazakhstan (World Bank, 2008-2009)
- Technical and Vocational Education Modernization Project (World Bank, 2008):
- Study Abroad Program in Kazakhstan (Northwestern University SA Office, 2007)
TACIS Vocational Education and Training (VET) Linked to the Development of SMEs in Kazakhstan (European Commission, 2004)
- Bilyalov D. (forthcoming). Organizational Socialization and Job Satisfaction of Faculty at Nazarbayev University in Kazakhstan. European Education.
- Garces L.M., Bilyalov D. (forthcoming). Navigating the Quicksand: How Postsecondary Administrators Understand the Influence of Affirmative Action Developments on Racial Diversity Work. Teachers College Record.
- Hartley M., Sagintayeva A., Apergenova R., Gopaul B., Zhakypova F., Bilyalov D. (2017) Governance challenges and changes: The evolving role of boards of trustees. In M. Hartley & A. Ruby (Eds.), Higher education reform and development: The case of Kazakhstan (pp. 47-64). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bilyalov, D. (2016). Institutional performance assessment in the context of transition to corporate governance. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 4, 56-59
- Bilyalov, D. (2016). University governance reform in Kazakhstan. International Higher Education, 85, 28-30 (CIHE, Boston College).
- Bilyalov, D., Canning, M. (2015). Current issues of reforming higher education. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 4, 63-37
- Bilyalov, D. (2015) Building intercultural competence through study abroad in Kazakhstan. Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN: 3659759503
- Bilyalov, D., Kazzhanova, A. (2015) Problem-based learning: theoretical aspects and implementation. Bilim. Education, 3, 54-59
- Bilyalov, D. (2015). Disruptive innovations in higher education. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 1, 11-15.
- Ambusaidi, I., Bilyalov, D., Burfoot-Rochford, I. (2015). Role strain experience of international parent students: a case study. Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan. 1, 105-110.
- Bilyalov, D., Orunkhanov, M., Sagintayeva, A., Hartley, M. (2014). Shared governance in higher education institutions. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 4, 11-15.
- Frost, D., Fimyar, O., Yakavets, N., Bilyalov, D. (2014) The role of school director in educational reform in Kazakhstan. In Bridges, D. (Ed.) Education reform and internationalisation. Cambridge University Press.
- Bilyalov, D. Changing university governance in Kazakhstan: power, structures and actors (2014). Higher school of Kazakhstan. 3, 48-52.
- Bilyalov, D., Orunkhanov, M., Sagintayeva, A., Hartley, M. (2014) Reform of higher education in Kazakhstan: corporate governance in HEIs. Reports of the National Academy of Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. 5, 86-94
- Bilyalov, D. (2014) The role of institutional research in an autonomous university. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 2, 90-93.
- Bilyalov, D. (2014) University governing bodies: recommendations based on American experience. The Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2, 144-149.
- Sagintayeva, A., Bilyalov, D. (2013). Best practices for sustaining autonomy of American higher education institutions. Higher School of Kazakhstan, 1, 38-42.
- Bilyalov, D., Tampayeva, T. (2012) Current professional development opportunities for top management of higher education institutions in Kazakhstan. Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 4, 53-58.
- Dairova, K., Kishkentayeva M., Bilyalov, D. (2012) Contemporary trends in transnational education and their impact on development of higher education in Kazakhstan. The Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 4, 63-69.
- Bilyalov, D., Streitwieser, B. (2007) New dimensions of a Kazakh-U.S. partnership. International Educator, 4, 14-17.
Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education (2014) Development of Strategic Directions for Education Reforms in Kazakhstan for 2015-2020, Diagnostic report. Astana: Indigo print.
Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education (2014, 2015, and 2016). Advancing Models of Best Practice in Academic Governance and Management in Higher Education Institutions in Kazakhstan. Three yearly reports on the research project.
World Bank (2009). Feasibility Study for the Technical and Vocational Education Modernization Project.