PhD in Educational Linguistics, 2013
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
“Towards a Multilingual Future: The Ecology of Language at a University in Eastern Ukraine”, adviser: Nancy Hornberger
MSEd in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), 2001
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
“Content-based instruction, error correction, and culture in a university Intensive English Program”, adviser: Anne Roberti
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDML 610 Foundations of Multilingual Education
- EDML 612 The Multilingual Society
- EDML 630 Language Policy and Education Reform Across Contexts
- EDUC 606 Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
- EDUC 631 Language and Literacy Development
English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI) in higher education; translanguaging [use of L1 in multilingual classrooms]; language policy; multilingual language development; ethnographic and discourse analytic research methods
Central Asia and Eurasia (Kazakhstan, Ukraine)
Development of students’ multilingual competence in EMI postgraduate research programs in Kazakhstan (PI), 2018-2020
NU Faculty Development Competitive Research Program, 53,000 USD
English as a Medium of Instruction in Higher Education Across Post-Socialist Contexts (PI), 2015-2016, Nazarbayev University Grant for Preliminary Research, 9800 USD
- Montgomery, D. P., Sparks, J., & Goodman, B. (2019). “What kind of paper do you want from us?” Supporting genre knowledge in Kazakhstani higher education. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 15(2019), 1-27. [Special Edition, Academic Literacies] http://journal.
- Goodman, B., & Almukhambetova, A. (forthcoming). Conducting research multilingually in an English-medium university: Narratives of a student and a supervisor. In Samuelson, B. L., & Silvhiany, S. (Eds.), Learning to do research multilingually. Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Goodman, B. (2019). Text, talk, and stance: Nigerian and Ukrainian student presentations in English-medium classes at a Ukrainian university. Linguistics and Education. https://doi.org/10.
- Goodman, B. A. & Karabassova, L. (2018). Bottom up and top down: Comparing language-in-education policy in Ukraine and Kazakhstan. In I. Silova & M. Chankseliani (eds.), Comparing post-socialist transformations: Education in Eastern Europe and Former Soviet Union [Oxford Studies in Comparative Education Volume 28, Number 2] (pp. 147-166). Oxford: Symposium Books. https://doi.org/10.
- Goodman, B. (2018). Acts of negotiation: Governmentality and medium-of-instruction policy in an eastern Ukrainian university. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 49(1), 36-52. Doi: 10.1111/aeq.12236/full
- Goodman, B. (2017a). The ecology of language and translanguaging in a Ukrainian university. In C. Mazak & K. Carroll (Eds.), Translanguaging practices in higher education: Beyond monolingual ideologies (pp. 50-69). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Goodman, B. (2017b). Interviewing and Conversation Analysis in ethnography of language-in-education policy. In Sage Research Methods Cases. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781473958272
- Goodman, B. & Suzuki, M. (2017c). Second language learners’ speech perception. In P. Clements, A. Krause, & H. Brown (Eds.), Transformation in language education (pp. 179-187). Tokyo: JALT.
- Goodman, B. (2017d). [Review of the book Uncovering English-Medium Instruction: Glocal Issues in Higher Education by Branka Drljaca Margic and Irena Vodopija-Krstanovic]. English for Specific Purposes. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esp.2017.12.001
- Brawner, B., Reason, J., Goodman, B. A., Schensul, J. J. & Guthrie, B. (2015). Multilevel drivers of Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome among Black Philadelphians: Exploration using community ethnography and geographic information systems. Nursing Research, 64(2), 100-110.
- Goodman, B. (2014). Implementing English as a Medium of Instruction in a Ukrainian university: Challenges, adjustments, and opportunities. International Journal of Pedagogies and Learning, 9(2), 130-141.
- Tarnopolsky, O. and Goodman, B. (2014). The ecology of language in classrooms at a university in Ukraine. Language and Education, 28(4), 383-396. doi: 10.1080/09500782.2014.890215
- Goodman, B. (2013). [Review of the book Forging Rights in a New Democracy: Ukrainian Students Between Freedom and Justice by Anna Fournier]. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 44(2), 215-216.
- Goodman, B. and Lyulkun, N.A. (2010). Ukrainian, Russian, English: Language use and attitudes of students at a Ukrainian university. Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, 25(1), 77-93.
- Goodman, B. (2009a). The ecology of language in Ukraine. Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, 24(2), 19-39.
- Goodman, B. (2009b). [Review of the book Europe and the Politics of Language: Citizens, Migrants, and Outsiders by Mairead Nic Craith]. Current Issues in Language Planning, 10(2), 234-235.
- Goodman, B. (2009c). [Review of the journal International Journal of the Sociology of Language 192, The Sociolinguistics of Script Choice, by Peter Unseth (Ed.)]. Written Language and Literacy, 12(1), 157-158.
- Goodman, B. (2009d). [Review of the textbook Advanced Russian through History by Benjamin Rifkin and Olga Kagan with Anna Yatsenko]. The Ukrainian Quarterly, 65(1-2), 154-156.
- Hondo, J. and Goodman, B. (2001). Cross-cultural varieties of politeness. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education (6), 1, pp. 163-170.