PhD student in Education
Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education, from 2016 till current time
MA in Education
University of Sheffield, UK. Bolashak Scholarship, 2014
MA in Philology
Taraz State University, Kazakhstan, 2009
BA in Foreign Language Teaching
Taraz State Pedagogical Institute, Kazakhstan, 2007
Thematic areas of research specialization
Bi/trilingual and multilingual education
Language planning and policy
Assel Kambatyrova is a junior researcher at the Research Institute of Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education. Prior to joining the Graduate School of Education, Assel was an international officer at the Department for International Cooperation at Gumilyov Eurasian National University, Astana. Being an English teacher by training, Assel worked at Taraz State Teacher Training Institute and has been actively involved in the education sector since 2007. In 2013 she was awarded International Scholarship of the President of Kazakhstan “Bolashak” and obtained an MA degree in Education from the University of Sheffield (UK). Currently, she is a second-year PhD student in Education at Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education. Pursuing her research interests in the field of multilingual education, Assel is currently writing her doctoral research dissertation titled “Parents’ language ideologies in the context of trilingual education policy in Kazakhstan”.
Research Interests and Current Projects
Assel’s research interests include issues related to the multilingual education, school reforms, and the role of language in curriculum. She has been part of international research projects “Coordinating Academic Programmers of Secondary Schooling and Higher Education Institutions of Kazakhstan in the Context of the International Experience” (2011-2013), “Development of Secondary Education Curriculum in the Context of Current Educational Reforms in Kazakhstan” (2014-2016), and “Researching Contemporary Trends in the Development of Secondary Education System in Kazakhstan” (2017). As part of her doctoral studies, Assel is currently examining parents’ views and perspectives of trilingual education policy in Kazakhstan.
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
Kazakhstan Educational Research Association (KERA)
Chapters in books
- Frost, D. and Kambatyrova, A. (2018 forthcoming). Researching internationalisation and educational reform in Kazakhstan (under review for publication in a book edited by Iveta Silova, Professor and Director of the Center for the Advanced Studies in Global Education at Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University).
- Bridges D., Kurakbayev K., Kambatyrova A. (2015). Interpreting the international and intra-national ‘translation’ of educational policy and practice: A case of opportunism, serendipity and bricolage. In: P. Smeyers, et al. (Eds.), International handbook on the role of interpretation in educational research (pp.1499-1512). Dordrecht: Springer. http://www.springer.com/education+%26+language/book/978-94-017-9281-3
- Bridges D., Kurakbayev K., Kambatyrova A. (2014). Lost – and found – in translation? Interpreting the processes of the international and intranational translation of educational policy and practice in Kazakhstan. In: D. Bridges (Ed.), Educational reform and internationalisation: the case of school reform in Kazakhstan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iqsZBAAAQBAJ&lpg=PR6&ots=ZfBqGGmW2A&dq=internationalisation%20and%20educational%20reform%20the%20case%20of%20kazakhstan&lr&hl=ru&pg=PA263#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Mehisto P., Kambatyrova A., Nurseitova K. (2014). Three in one? Trilingualism in educational policy and practice. In: D. Bridges (Ed.), Educational reform and internationalisation: the case of school reform in Kazakhstan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iqsZBAAAQBAJ&lpg=PR6&ots=ZfBqGGmW2A&dq=internationalisation%20and%20educational%20reform%20the%20case%20of%20kazakhstan&lr&hl=ru&pg=PA152#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Winter L., Kambatyrova A., Gungor D. (2017). Validation of a scale to assess regional variations in attitudes towards a professional development programme to learn the English language for teachers of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Informatics. Vestnik KazNU, 4 (53), 43-54. http://bulletin-pedagogic-sc.kaznu.kz/index.php/1-ped/article/view/451/435
- Kambatyrova, A. (2016). Новое содержание начального образования в Казахстане: апробация и опыт [New primary school curriculum in Kazakhstan: piloting and experience]. Vestnik KazNU, 3 (49), 21-32. file:///C:/Users/assel.kambatyrova/Downloads/379-1-742-1-10-20170329.pdf
- Kambatyrova, A. and Iyldyz, L. (2015). Подготовка педагогических кадров на английском языке в контексте внедрения трехъязычного обучения в среднем образовании Республики Казахстан [The implementation of trilingual education in secondary schools in Kazakhstan: pre-service teacher training in English]. Vestnik KazNU, 2 (45), 47-59. http://journal.kaznu.kz/Content/upload_files/wb5luigueq94q8d_635846727631772718.pdf
- Kambatyrova, A. (2012). Көптілді білім контекстінде Content Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) тәсілінің мысалында тіл мен пәндік оқытуды интеграциялаудың әдістемелік ерекшеліктері [Methodological features of Content Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) in the context of multilingual education]. Bilim Educational Research Journal, 4, 73-78.
- Kambatyrova, A. (2016). ҚР педагогикалық жоғары оқу орындарында жаратылыстану және информатика пәндерінің мұғалімдерін ағылшын тілінде даярлау [Preparation of Science and Informatics teachers in English in pedagogical higher education institutions in Kazakhstan]. Proceedings of XVI International Conference «Modern trends in training of technical personnel and teaching of English in the context of industrial and innovative development of Kazakhstan» (pp. 178-182). Oskemen: D.Serikbayev East Kazakhstan State Technical University.
- Kambatyrova, A. (2015). Предпосылки обновления содержания среднего образования в контексте глобализации» [Secondary education curriculum reform in the context of globalization]. Proceedings of Innovations in Education: Researchers and Solutions: II International Research and Practice Conference (pp. 604-610). Astana: Altynsarin National Academy of Education.
- Kambatyrova, A. (2015). What teachers say about trilingual education policy: Voices from the classroom. Proceedings of Integrating Languages, Linguistics, Literature, Translation Journalism, Economics and Business into Education (ICBCB-2015): VII International Annual Conference Building Cultural Bridges (pp. 604-610). Almaty: Suleiman Demirel University.
- Kambatyrova, A. and Tazhibayeva, S. (2009). Оценочная объективизация образа женщины (на материале пословиц и поговорок разносистемных языков [Axiological objectification of woman’s image (based on the materials of Kazakh, Russian and English languages)]. Proceedings of Young Scientist: Research and Practice Conference (pp. 87-91). Taraz: Taraz State Pedagogical Institute.
- Uzbekova, D. and Kambatyrova, A. (2009). Национально-культурная специфика концепта «Женщина» (на материале разносистемных языков) [National and cultural specific features of the concept “Woman” (based on the materials of Kazakh, Russian and English languages)]. Proceedings of Young Scientist: Research and Practice Conference (pp. 135-138). Taraz: Taraz State Pedagogical Institute.