PhD in Educational Policy and Administration (Higher Education), 2011
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
“Social Network Analysis of Co-authorship in Russian Cardiologic Research: the effect of co authorship strategies on individual research productivity”, adviser: David Chapman
MS in Higher Educational Leadership, 2003
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA
“Distance Model for Professional Development of Teachers in Kazakhstan”, adviser: Donald Lemon
MA in Applied Linguistics, 2003
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA
“Past, Present and Future of Language Policy in Kazakhstan”, adviser: David Marshall
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDUC 600 Inquiry Methods in Education (Qualitative and Quantitative)
- EDUC 602 Educational Context and Reform in Kazakhstan
- EDHE 609 Introduction to Leadership in Education
- EDUC 621 Organization and Governance in Higher Education
- EDUC 705 Advanced Methods in Educational Research (Qualitative)
faculty, doctoral and post-doctoral education, research capacity, internationalization, gender in higher education
Geographic areas: Central Asia and Eurasia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan)
- Academic Profession in Knowledge Society, an International Survey (Co-PI), 2018
Foundation (to be filled), Pre-approved amount (to be filled)
- Exploring Re-Adjustment Experiences of Kazakhstani Returning Scholars (PI), 2018-2020 NU Faculty Development Competitive Research Program, 45,000 USD
- Faculty Mobility and Capacity Building: The Motivations and Contributions of Foreign Faculty Members Working in Kazakhstan (PI), 2015-2016
Ministry of Education and Science, Kazakhstan, 150,000 USD
- An analysis of the experience of female leaders in civil service in Kazakhstan with a special focus on educational sector (PI), 2015-2016
Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), 13,000 USD
- An analysis of the research capacity of individual researchers and universities in Kazakhstan
NU Seed Grant, 17,000 USD
- Kuzhabekova, A., Lee, J. (in press). Relocation decision of international faculty in Kazakhstan. Journal of Studies in International Education.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (in press). The Development of University Research in Kazakhstan during 1991-2013: a Bibliometric View. In Silova, I. and Niyozov, S. (Eds.) Globalization on the Margins: Education and Post-socialist Transformations in Central Asia (2nd ed.).
- Kuzhabekova, A., Ruby, A. (2018). Raising Research Productivity in a Post-Soviet Higher Education System: A Case from Central Asia, European Education.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Soltanbek, A., Almukhambetova, A., Mukhametzhanova, A. (2017). Educational Flagships as Brokers in International Policy Transfer: Learning from the Experience of Kazakhstan, European Education.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Lee, J. (2017). International faculty contribution to local research capacity building: A view from publication data. Higher Education Policy, pp.1-24.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Janenova, S., Almukhambetova, A. (2017). Analyzing the experiences of female leaders in civil service in Kazakhstan: trapped between economic pressure to earn and traditional family role expectations, International Journal of Public Administration, pp.1-12.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2017). Combining brokerage and bonding in co-authorship: a useful strategy in social capital accumulation. Journal of Scientometric Research 6(3), pp.176-185
- Lee, J., Kuzhabekova, A. (2017). Reverse Flow of Academic Mobility from Core to Periphery: Motivations of International Faculty Working in Kazakhstan, Higher Education (), 1-18
- Holley, K., Kuzhabekova., A., et al. (2017). Global Perspectives on the post-Doctoral Scholar Experience. In Jaeger, A.., Dinin, A. (Eds.) The Post-doctoral Landscape: The Invisible Scholars. Academic Press.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Almukhambetova, A. (2017). Female academic leadership in post-Soviet context: Finding work-life balance while negotiating multiple sets of gender role expectations, Special issue of European Education Research Journal: Work - Life Interferences in Scientific Careers, 16(2-3), pp.183-199.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Mukhamejanova, D. (2017). Productive researchers in countries with limited research capacity: researchers as agents in post-Soviet Kazakhstan, Journal of Studies in Graduate and Postdoctoral education, 8(1).
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2017). Impact-factor requirements in Kazakhstan: The reaction of scholarly journals and implications for local research capacity building, In Curry, M. and Lillis, Th. Global academic publishing: Policies, practices, and pedagogies, Part of the series Studies in Knowledge Production and Participation, Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, UK.
- Kerimkulova, S., Kuzhabekova, A. (2017). Quality Assurance in Higher Education of Kazakhstan: A Review of the System and Issues. In Shah, M. The Rise of Quality Assurance in Asian Higher Education, Woodhead Publishing, Ltd.
- Ruby, A., Kuzhabekova, A., Lee, J (2017). Recruitment of International Faculty: The case of Nazarbayev University. In Yudkevitch, M., Altbach, Ph., Rumbley, L. (Eds.) International Faculty in Higher Education
- Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact, pp.150-173, New York: Routledge.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Yembergenova, D. (2017). ‘Publish or Perish’ and the Changing Reality of Academic Journals in Kazakhstan, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond, 1(11), pp.16-17.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Lee, J., Amangazy, M.(2016). Linking research to Kazakhstan’s strategic priorities: The case of international faculty at Nazarbayev University, Proceedings of the Eurasian Higher Education Leaders Forum, pp.31-44.
- Кужабекова, А, Гапбасова, Л. (2016) Мотивация академической мобильности иностранных преподавателей: Обзор литературы, Вестник КазНУ, 3(75), pp.184-190.
- Кужабекова, А., Джаненова, С., Альмухамбетова, А. (2016). Почему казахстанские женщины недостаточно представлены на руководящих должностях на государственной службе? Гендерный Вестник ООН в Казахстане.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Zhaparova, R. (2016). Effects of ‘Apprenticeship of observation’ of active learning techniques on teachers at earlier and later stages of teaching careers. Voprosi Obrazovaniya, 2, pp.208-228.
- Kuzma, J., Kokotovoch, A., Kuzhabekova, A. (2016). Attitudes towards governance of gene editing. Asian Biotechnology and Development Review, Special Issue on Regulation, Intellectual Property and Innovation, 18(1), pp. 69-93.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Hendel, D., Chapman, D. (2015). Mapping Global Research on International Higher Education, Research in Higher Education. Available online at http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11162-015-9371-1#page-1
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2015). Findings from TIMSS 2007: What Drives Utilization of Inquiry-based Science Instruction? International Journal of Research in Education and Science, 1(2), online.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2015).What determines the divide between soft and hard sciences in Soviet and post-Soviet Kazakhstan, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond, 3(5), pp.9-11.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2015). Introduction of impact-factor publication requirement for faculty promotion: Experiences of Kazakhstani faculty, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond, 1(7), pp.9-11.
- Kuzhabekova, A., Kamedenova, M. (2015). The study on instrumental value of language proficiency in Kazakhstan: the impact of language acquisition on job opportunities. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference “Building Cultural Bridges: Integrating Languages, Linguistics, Literature, Translation and Journalism into Education”. Suleiman Demirel University, Almaty, April 23-24th.
- Yessenova A., Kuzhabekova, A. (2015). Public discourse on educational trilingualism in online publications in Kazakhstan. Proceedings of the Conference on Current Issues in Foreign Philology (Language studies) and Language Instruction in Relation to Implementation of the State Program for the Development of Languages for 2011-2020, Eurasian National University, Astana, April 9th.
- Kuzhabekova,A., Kuzma, J. (2014) Mapping the emerging field of genome editing. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 26(3), pp. 321-352.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2014). Can exposure to active learning instruction as a student produce constructivist teachers? Proceedings of the Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools Conference “ Educational Policy, Practice, and Research”, Astana, October 23-24, 2014.
- Kuzma, J., Kuzhabekova, A. (2011). Corporate Social Responsibility for Nanotechnology Oversight. Medicine, Healthcare, and Philosophy. Medicine, Health Care, and Philosophy 14(4): 407-419.
- Kuzma, J., Kuzhabekova, A., (2011). Nanotechnology, Voluntary Oversight, and Corporate Social Performance: Does Company Size Matter? Journal of Nanoparticles Research, Special focus: Governance of Nanobiotechnology, 13(4), 1499
- Kuzma, J., Kuzhabekova, A., Priest, S., and L. Yerhot. (2010). Expert Opinion of Emerging Technologies Oversight: Lessons for Nanotechnology from Biotechnology. Book for Society for Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies. IOS Press: Amsterdam, Neth. (in press)
- Anderson, Melissa S., Chiteng Kot, Felly, Jie, Yiyun, Kamata, Takehito, Kuzhabekova, Aliya, Lepkowski, Christine C., Shaw, Marta A., Sorenson, Martha M., and Vasconcelos, Sonia M. R. (2010). Differences in national approaches to doctoral education: Implications for international research collaborations. In Anderson, Melissa S., and Steneck, Nicholas H. (Eds.), International Research Collaborations: Much to be Gained, Many Ways to Get in Trouble, New York: Routledge, <http://www.routledge-ny.com/books/International-Research-Collaborations-isbn9780415875417>
- Stebleton, M.J., Huesman, R.L., Kuzhabekova, A. (2010). Do I belong here? Exploring immigrant college student responses on the SERU Survey sense of belonging/satisfaction factor. The Center for Studies in Higher Education, University of California, Berkley, Occasional Paper Series, 13/10. Available at <http://cshe.berkeley.edu/publications/publications.php?s=1>
- Kuzma, J. and Kuzhabekova, A, Wilder, K. (2009). Improving Oversight of Genetically Engineered Organisms, Policy & Society, 28 (4): 279-299.
- Paradise, J.. Wolf, S., Kuzma, J., Kuzhabekova, A., Wedekind, A., Kokkoli, E., and G. Ramachandran. (2009). Developing Oversight Strategies for Nanobiotechnology: Learning from Past Oversight Experiences. Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, 37 (4): 688-705.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2008). Language Policies in Independent Kazakhstan, in “Linguistic Changes in Post-Communist Eastern Europe and Eurasia”, ed. Ernest Andrews (2008), Eastern European Monographs, Columbia University Press.
- Kuzhabekova, A. (2001). Language Policy in the Republic of Kazakhstan: Linguistic Discrimination or Language Maintenance, Proceedings of the 44th Conference of the Linguistic Circle of Manitoba and North Dakota Conference, v.41., October 26th & 27th, 2001, Fargo, N.D.