PhD in Interdisciplinary Learning & Teaching, 2014
University of Texas, San Antonio, USA
“The Phenomenon of Doctoral Student Motherhood/Mothering in Academia: Cultural Construction, Presentation of Self, and Situated Learning,” Advisor: Elizabeth Pate
MA in Bicultural-Bilingual Studies, 2008
University of Texas, San Antonio, USA
“‘Do You Speak Alien?’ The Ups and Downs of a Spanish Language Preschool Program,” Advisor: Armando Trujillo
Honors BA in Anthropology and Linguistics, Spanish Minor, 2002
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
“From Subtitling to Dubbing: Language and Power in Film Translation in Spain,” Advisor: David Samuels
Courses taught at GSE:
- EDUC 600: Research Methods I, MSc Educational Leadership—Fall 2015, Fall 2016
- EDUC 600 (re-developed course): Research Methods II – Qualitative Research, MSc Educational Leadership, Higher Education – Fall 2017
- EDUC 601: Research Methods II, MSc Educational Leadership, Higher Education – Fall 2016
- EDUC 603: Graduate student tutorial, MSc Educational Leadership—Fall 2015
- EDUC 607/EDSE: Foundations of Early Childhood Education, MSc Educational Leadership, School Education—Summer 2015, Spring 2016, & Spring 2017
- EDHE 648: Perspectives of Teacher Education, MSc Educational Leadership, Higher Education —Summer 2017
- EDUC 640/690: Thesis seminar I, II, III, IV, MSc Educational Leadership, School Education—Summer 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2016, Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018
- EDHE 650: Innovative Research Methods: Answering the Complicated, Contemporary Questions in Higher Education—Summer 2018
- EDUC 671: Workplace/Internship, MSc Educational Leadership, School Education —Spring 2017
- EDUC 675: Learning to Work, MSc Educational Leadership, School Education —Spring 2018
- EDUC 710: Educational Studies in Context, PhD in Education, Fall 2016
Other cross-sectional issues in education
innovative research methods, qualitative research methods, arts-based research, social media research, interdisciplinarity, diversity, equity, faculty, work/family balance, parenting in higher education, mothers in academia, gender in education, teaching and learning
Geographic areas: North America (USA), Eurasia and Central Asia (Kazakhstan), Europe (UK, Czech Republic, Finland), Oceania (New Zealand)
Gender Audit of Formal Curriculum at Nazarbayev University: Pilot project for gender audits in Kazakhstan organizations (Co-PI), 2017. Project funded by the United Nations Development Program, Kazakhstan. $2,500
Cooperative learning workshop to learn, deeply reflect, and advocate for graduate student mothers, (PI), 2017. Project funded by Sociologists for Women in Society Social Action Grant. University of Indiana, Bloomington, USA. $500
Exploring young people’s psychological wellbeing and school engagement in Kazakhstan, (Deputy), 2015-2017. Project funded by the British Council, Newton – Al-Farabi Institutional Links Program, United Kingdom. $350.000
Integrating International Collaborations in Qualitative Research Methods:
Portraiture, Mothers, and Higher Education, (PI), 2015-2016. Projected funded by NUGSE Social Grant. Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan. $12,211
* identifies collaborative work to support graduate students (*) when the publication was submitted
- CohenMiller, A. S. (forthcoming). Performing, passing, and covering motherhood in academic spaces: An autoethnographic account. LEARNingLandscapes.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Demers, D., Schnackenberg, H. (forthcoming). Rigid flexibility in research: Seeing the opportunities in “failed” qualitative research. International Journal of Qualitative Methods.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Smat, N., Yenikeyeva, A., & Yassinova, K. (forthcoming, May 2020). Analyzing social media with a gender audit: Pedagogy and practice in the qualitative research classroom. The Qualitative Report. 25(5).
- CohenMiller, A. S., Koo, S., Collins, N., & Lewis, J. (2020). EXPOsing gender in science: A visual analysis with lessons for gender awareness and science diplomacy. Gender, Technology and Development. doi: 10.1080/09718524.2019.1695519
- Ajodhia, A. & A. S. CohenMiller (2019). Can arts-informed pedagogy facilitate communities of learning and belonging for minoritised early years children? An integrative review of research. International Journal of Early Years Education. DOI: 10.1080/09669760.2019.1685467
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Demers, D. (2019) Conflicting roles of mother and academic?: Exploring the use of arts-based self-care activities to encourage wellbeing. Art/Research International: A Transdisciplinary Journal. https://journals.library.
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Miller, M. (2019) Resources for online teaching in the sciences: A multistage search and classification of open video repositories (OVR). College Teaching. doi: 10.1080/87567555.2019.1650704
- Miller, M. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2019). Open video repositories for college instruction: A guide to the social sciences. Online Learning. https://olj.
onlinelearningconsortium.org/ index.php/olj/article/view/ 1492/827
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Pate, E. (2019). A model for developing interdisciplinary research and theoretical frameworks. The Qualitative Report, 24(6). https://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/
- CohenMiller, A. S., Sagitova, R. Ogay, S., Tselenko, Y., Shakhmanova, A., Saburova, A. (2019). What is a family-friendly campus? An Exploratory Study to Develop Student Research and Provide Practical Results. American Journal of Qualitative Research. http://www.ejecs.org/index.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Merrill, M., & Shamatov, D. (in press). Effective teaching strategies for higher education: A brief overview. Teacher professional development – basis of education system reform. Pedagogical Dialogue, with a focus on Kazakhstan and Central Asia. Pedagogical Dialogue. 3(21).
- CohenMiller, A.S. & Boivin, N. (in press). Representations of nature in children’s picture books: An exploratory study in post-Soviet Kazakhstan. Advances in Early Childhood Education and Day Care. Special Issue on Nature.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (in press) Arts-based online focus groups: Exploring the transition from docmama to motherscholar. The Qualitative Report.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2018). Visual Arts Methods in Phenomenology. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research (FSQ), 19(1). http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/2912/4180
- Boivin, N., & CohenMiller, A. S. (2018). Breaking the “Fourth Wall” in Qualitative Research: Participant-Led Digital Data Construction. The Qualitative Report, 23(3), 581-592. Retrieved from http://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol23/iss3/6
- Spires, K. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2018). Accessibility in Central Asia: Collaboration between Graduate School and Library. IFLA journal.
- Gimranova, A.*, Nurmanova, M.* & CohenMiller, A. S. (2018). Texting groups and Near Peer Role Modeling (NPRM) to motivate language learning: A small-scale collaborative project in Kazakhstan. LEARNing Landscapes: Special Issue: Teaching with Technology:Pedagogical Possibilities and Practicalities;
- CohenMiller, A. S., Faucher, C., Hernández-Torrano, D., & Brown Hajdukova, E. (2017). Practical Steps for Using Interdisciplinary Educational Research to Enhance Cultural Awareness. International Journal of Research & Method in Education. Special Issue: Adoption, Adaptation, and Integration: Renegotiating the Identity of Educational Research through Interdisciplinarity. 1080/1743727X.2017.1310834. I http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/1743727X.2017.1310834
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2016). Artful research approaches in #amwritingwithbaby: Qualitative analysis of academic mothers on Facebook. LEARNING Landscapes, 9(2) Special Issue with introduction by Patricia Leavy, Artful Inquiry: Transforming Understanding Through Creative Engagement, http://www.learninglandscapes.ca/index.php/learnland/article/view/770
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2013). Motherhood in academia: A grounded theory pilot study of online texts. Educational Research: Theory and Practice (formerly, The Researcher), 25 (1), 47-66. http://www.nrmera.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Researcherv25n1CohenMiller.pdf
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2012). Interdisciplinary projects emerging naturally: Reflection from a doctoral student’s first American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) Adult Learning, 23(4), 196-200. http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ981524
- Dentith, A., CohenMiller, A. S., Jackson, G., & Root, D. (2011). Developing globalized teacher education curriculum through interdisciplinarity. Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue, 13(1-2), 77-92. http://www.infoagepub.com/products/Curriculum-and-Teaching-Dialogue-Volume-13-1-and-2
- CohenMiller, A. S.* (2008). Stealth Language Teaching: A preschool foreign language pilot program. Practicing Anthropology, 30(1), 50-53. http://sfaa.metapress.com/content/qh1j90u1466t77p3/
- Lewis, J. & CohenMiller, A. S. (invited). Chapter 7: Voices of Central Asian Women Leaders: Constraints and Strategies. Central Asian Women in Leadership (eds. D. Seitova & G. McLean). Palgrave Macmillan.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Smith, H. & Iyengar, K. (invited proposal). Questions in Research Methodologies for Multicultural Contexts. Routledge.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2019, to be presented January). Autoethnography in practice: How a pedagogy developed to support the new practice in Kazakhstan. The 10th Annual Qualitative Report conference. St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Lewis, J. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2018, to be presented June). Gender Audit of Formal Curriculum at Nazarbayev University: Pilot Project for Gender Audits in Kazakhstani Organizations. European Academy of Management conference in Rekyavik, Iceland.
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Demers, D. (2018). Friendship as methodology: A multimodal cogenerative study of motherscholar wellbeing. The 9th Annual Qualitative Report conference. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Lewis, J., CohenMiller, A. S., & McEvoy, G. (2017). Gendered barriers in the workplace. International Leadership Association. Brussels, Belgium.
- Faucher, C., Hernández-Torrano, D., Tynybayeva, M., CohenMiller, A. S., Kurakbayev, K., (March, 2017). School psychology in context: Perception, challenges and students’ wellbeing in mainstream Kazakhstani schools. Paper presented at the Annual Comparative and International Education Society Meeting, “Problematizing (In)equality”, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America.
- Harvánková, K.* & CohenMiller, A. S. (2017). Motherhood at the beginning of a scientific career: A case study in the Czech Republic. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Spires, M.K. and CohenMiller, A. S. (2017) Developing and Implementing Teaching and Learning Support Systems for Visually Impaired Students in Kazakhstan. Paper presented at the seventeenth International Conference on Diversity in Organizations, Communities, & Nations.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Tslenko, Y.,* Ogay, S.,* Sagitova, R.,* Shakhmanova, A.,* & Saburova, A.* (2017, June). Conceptualizing a family-friendly campus: A qualitative study in Kazakhstan. Central Eurasian Studies Society conference. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. June. doi. 13140/RG.2.2.26056.42245. DIVERSITY,
- Shamatov, D., Merrill, M., & CohenMiller, A. S. (2017, June). Effective teaching strategies in higher education institutions. Eurasian Higher Education Leadership Forum (EHELF). Astana, Kazakhstan, Central Asia. doi. 13140/RG.2.2.33066.82882
- Montgomery, D. P., CohenMiller, A. S., Kozhabayeva, K. R.*, & Orynbassarova, D. M.* (2017, May). Developing research competence through a student-run peer-review journal at higher education institutions of Kazakhstan. Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Conference on Academic Integrity, KAZGUU, Astana, Kazakhstan, Central Asia. Retrieved from http://nur.nu.edu.kz/handle/123456789/2430
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Demers, D. (2017, May). The Ambivalence of Being Neither Fully at Work nor Fully at Home: Arts-Based Participatory Action Research with Motherscholars to Enhance Wellbeing. 13th International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry (ICQI). Champagne-Urbana, Illinois.
- Faucher, C., Tynbayeva, M., Hernandez-Torrano, D.; CohenMiller, A. S., & Kurakbayev, K. (2017). School Psychologists in Context: Perception, Challenges and Interaction in Mainstream Kazakhstan’s Secondary Schools. Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Conference. Atlanta, Georgia, DOI: 13140/RG.2.2.16477.61923
- Kerimkulova, S., CohenMiller, A. S., & Shamatov, D. (2017, March). Evaluation study of the Kazakhstan Leadership Professional Development Programs. Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2017). Caring as an emergent method in qualitative research: A means for moving between research studies and practical support. The Qualitative Report (TQR) Eighth Annual Conference. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2016). From the inside out: An ethnographic arts-based study of mother-scholars. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Dublin, Ireland.
- Boivin, N. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2016). Utilizing mobile and smart technology: Breaking down the ‘fourth wall’ in research. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Dublin, Ireland.
- Faucher, C., CohenMiller, A. S., Kurakbayev, K., & Hernandez-Torrano, D. (2016). Conceptualizing wellbeing: A grounded theory study of Kazakhstani school psychologists. European Conference on Educational Research (ECER). Dublin, Ireland.
- CohenMiller, A. S. & Pate, E. (2016). Promoting new knowledge making across disciplines: A model for developing an interdisciplinary theoretical framework for teaching and learning. International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences.
- Brown Hajdukova, E., CohenMiller, A. S., Faucher, C., Kurakbayev, K. (2016). Culturally sensitive research into students’ wellbeing: Lessons from the first phase of a research project in Kazakhstan. Comparative and International Education Society (CIES), Vancouver, Canada.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2016). The academic mother presents herself on Facebook: Using qualitative data analysis in an examination of #amwritingwithbaby. Southwest Popular / American Culture Association, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Miller, M. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2015). STEM-related online video repositories. Sloan-C International Symposium and MERLOT, Emerging Technologies for Online Learning, Dallas, Texas, USA. Paper under review.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2015). The art of experience: The potential of drawings to enhance phenomenological research. American Educational Research Association (AERA). Chicago, Illinois.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2014). Making doctoral student motherhood/mothering visible: Practical approaches for overcoming obstacles in academia. Museum of Motherhood Conference, New York.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2014). Phenomenology meets visual data collection: Presentation of self as mother and academic. Sociologists for Women in Society, Nashville, Tennessee, USA. Invited presider for the session on “Gender and the Academy.”
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2014). Women, gender, and motherhood in academia: A grounded theory pilot study of online texts. Southwest Popular / American Culture Association, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.
- Miller, M. V. & CohenMiller, A. S. (2013). Online video repositories: An emerging resource for digital instruction,” Innovative Media and Tools track. Paper presented at The Sloan Consortium: Individuals, Institutions and Organizations Committed to Quality Online Education, Las Vegas, Nevada. Full presentation.
- CohenMiller, A. S., Bryson, F.*, Miller, M.*, & Pemberton, J. L.* (2013). Children, dissertations, and advance degrees: The experiences of mothers working on a doctorate. Roundtable. American Association of Adult and Continuing Education. Lexington, Kentucky.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2012). Content analysis of a cross-disciplinary discourse. International Conference of Cultural and Social Aspects of Research, San Antonio, Texas.
- CohenMiller, A. S. Coryell, J. E., & Wright, R. M. (2011). Technology and the internet: A form of oppression or liberation? American Association of Adult and Continuing Education. Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Dentith, A., CohenMiller, A. S., Jackson, G., & Root, D. (2010). Developing the globalized undergraduate teacher education curriculum through interdisciplinarity. Paper presented at the American Association for Teaching & Curriculum (AATC), St. Louis, Missouri.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2010). We ourselves are the best broadcasters of our culture and our land’ – An Adapting dialogue of lived experience within an ecotourism and English as a Foreign Language exchange program. Paper presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology, Mérida, Mexico.
- CohenMiller, A. S. (2009). Applied anthropology at 1000 miles away: An Italian preschool classroom. Paper presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA), Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Cohen-Cole, A. (2007). Stealth Language Teaching: A preschool foreign language program. Paper presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology, Tampa, Florida, USA. Published in Practicing Anthropology.