Syed Abdul Manan
PhD in Applied Linguistics, 2015
University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Topic: Mapping mismatches: English-medium education policy, perceptions and practices in the low-fee private schools in Quetta Pakistan
Masters in English Language Studies, 2011
National University of Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia
Topic: Ethnolinguistic vitality of the Punjabi Sikh community in the state of Perak Malaysia
Bachelors in English literature and linguistics, 2004
National University of Modern Languages (NUML) Islamabad, Pakistan
Google Scholar Profile:
Language policy and planning
- Language-in-education/medium of instruction
- Second/foreign language learning
- English Language Teaching (ELT)
- Language endangerment and revitalization
- Wolrd Englishes
- Linguistic landscape
Pakistan and Malaysia
- Manan, S. A., & David, M. K. (2019). Deprescriptivizing folk theories: Critical multilingual language awareness for educators in Pakistan. The Language Learning Journal. doi:10.1080/09571736.2019.1657487
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Channa, L. A. (2019). Opening ideological and implementational spaces for multilingual/plurilingual policies and practices in education: a snapshot of scholarly activism in Pakistan. Current Issues in Language Planning, 20(5), 521-543. doi:10.1080/14664208.2018.1543162
- Manan, S. A. (2019). Myth of English teaching and learning: a study of practices in the low-cost schools in Pakistan. Asian Englishes, 21(2), 172-189. doi:10.1080/13488678.2018.1503041
- David, M. K., Firdaus, A. N. F. A., & Manan, S. A. (2019). Border crossings: use of linguistic studies across subject disciplines. Indonesian EFL Journal (IEFLJ), 5(2), 49-60. doi:10.25134/ieflj.v5i2.1902.
- Manan, S. A. (2018). Silencing children’s power of self-expression: an examination of coercive relations of power in English-medium schools in Pakistan. L1-Educational Studies in Languages and Literature (18), 1-25. doi:https://doi.org/10.17239/L1ESLL-2018.18.01.14
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., Dumanig, F. P., & Channa, L. A. (2017). The glocalization of English in the Pakistan linguistic landscape. World Englishes, Online. doi:10.1111/weng.12213
- Manan, S. A., & Khadija-Tul-Kubra. (2017). The younger, the better: A critical analysis of educators' beliefs about age and instruction of English as a second/foreign language in Pakistan. Language Sciences. doi:http:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.langsci.2017.07.002
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2017). Ethnolinguistic dilemma and static maintenance syndrome: A study of languages policies and language perceptions in Pakistan. Language Problems and Language Planning, 41(1), 66–86. doi:https://doi.org/10.1075/lplp.41.1.04man
- Channa, L. A., Gilhooly, D., Channa, A. R., & Manan, S. A. (2017). Teaching English or producing docility? Foucauldian analysis of Pakistani state-mandated English textbooks. Cogent Education, 4(1), 1283101. doi:10.1080/2331186X.2017.1283101
- Channa, L. A., Gilhooly, D., Lynn, C. A., Manan, S. A., & Soomro, N. H. (2017). Friend or foe? First language (L1) in second/foreign language (L2/FL) instruction & Vygotsky. Journal of Language and Cultural Education, 5(2), 25. doi:https://doi.org/10.1515/jolace-2017-0016
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2016). Language management: a snapshot of governmentality within the private schools in Quetta, Pakistan. Language Policy, 15(1), 3-26. doi:10.1007/s10993-014-9343-x
- Manan, S. A. (2016). Building on Children's Linguistic Resources: A Socio-culturally Responsive Pedagogy for English Language Teaching in Pakistan. Philippines ESL Journal, 17(July), 67-85
- Manan, S. A., Khadija-Tul-Kubra, & Channa, L. A. (2016). Teaching English as a subject in the government schools in Balochistan: A bottom-up analysis. BUITEMS Journal of Social Sciences, 2(1), 7-21.
- David, M. K., & Manan, S. A. (2016). Language ideology and the linguistic landscape: A study in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. Linguistics and the Human Sciences, 11.1, 1-16. doi:10.1558/lhs.v11.1.20228
- Channa, L. A., Manan, S. A., & Khadija-Tul-Kubra. (2016). Labovian narrative analysis of a Pakistani schoolteacher’s experience of teaching English. BUITEMS Journal of Social Sciences, 2(1), 38-52.
- David, M. K., Dumanig, F. P., & Manan, S. A. (2016). National Languages- Medium of Instruction- Empowerment or Disempowerment? Linguapax, Online.
- Manan, S. A., & Mehmood, T. (2016). Contextualizing Teacher-Centered Versus Student-Centered Learning Approaches: A Study of University Graduates. BUITEMS Journal of Social Sciences, 1(1).
- David, M. K., Hei, K. C., Alagappar, P. N., Hui, G. K., & Manan, S. A. (2016). Perceptions of the Chinese by Malay Respondents. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social and Community Studies, 11(2), 1-18.
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2015). Disjunction between language policy and children's sociocultural ecology – an analysis of English-medium education policy in Pakistan. Language and Education, 1-21. doi:10.1080/09500782.2015.1046882
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., Dumanig, F. P., & Naqeebullah, K. (2015). Politics, economics and identity: mapping the linguistic landscape of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. International Journal of Multilingualism, 12(1), 31-50. doi:10.1080/14790718.2014.905581
- Manan, S. A., Dumanig, F. P., & David, M. K. (2015). The English-medium fever in Pakistan: analyzing policy, perceptions and practices through additive bi/multilingual education lens. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 1-17. doi:10.1080/13670050.2015.1080659
- Manan, S. A., & Mehmood, T. (2015). Culture and critical thinking in classroom: Narratives from university students in Pakistan. ELK Asia Pacific Journal of Social Sciences, 1(3), 110 - 134. doi: 10.16962/EAPJSS/issn.2394-9392/2014
- Manan, S. A., & Channa, L. A. (2015). Significance of critical applied linguistics for applied linguists and English teaching professionals in Pakistan. BUITEMS Journal of Social Sciences, 1(2), 70-89.
- David, M. K., Hei, K. C., Dumanig, F. P., & Manan, S. A. (2015). Crossing Disciplines—transferring knowledge in the reading classroom. Journal of Teaching and Research in English Literature, 6(4 April-June).
- Channa, L. A., & Manan, S. A. (2015). Developing Pakistani university students’ English proficiency: A five-point agenda for the Pakistani language policymakers. BUITEMS Journal of Social Sciences, 1(2), 70-89.
- Manan, S. A., & David, M. K. (2014). Mapping ecology of literacies in educational setting: The case of local mother tongues vis-à-vis Urdu and English languages in Pakistan. Language and Education, 28(3), 203-222. doi:10.1080/09500782.2013.800550
- David, M. K., & Manan, S. A. (2014). Non-Malaysian languages in the linguistic landscape of Kuala lumpur. LINGUAPAX Review of Educational Research, 2.3, 14-24.
- Manan, S. A., M. K. D., Liaquat Ali Channa and Francisco Perlas Dumanig (in press). The monolingual bias: a critique of idealization and essentialization in ELT in Pakistan. In N. Rudolph, A. F. Selvi, & B. Yazan (Eds.), The Complexity of Identity and Interaction In Language Education. Bristol Multilingual Matters.
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2019). Linguistic-diversity-as-a-problem versus linguistic-diversity-as-a-resource: a critique of language policies in Pakistan. In S. C. Lah & R. A. R. Ramakrishna (Eds.), The World Mosaics of Linguistics, Literature and Culture: Accepting Differences, Embracing Diversity. Penang, Malaysia: Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- David, M. K., & Manan, S. A. (2019). Language Revitalisation without Language Transmission: Activism of the Sindhi Diaspora. In M. Barrieras & C. Ferrerós (Eds.), Transmissions: Estudis sobre la transmissió lingüística (pp. 159-178): Eumo Editorial.
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2016). English Language Teaching in Pakistan: Language Policies, Delusions and Solutions. In R. Kirkpatrick (Ed.), English Language Education Policy in Asia (Vol. 11, pp. 219-244): Springer International Publishing.
- Manan, S. A., & David, M. K. (2012). Imagining Threats to the Linguistic and Cultural Diversity: A Critique of Language Policy and Planning In Pakistan. Paper presented at the International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Culture (November 7-9, 2012), University Sains Penang Malaysia.
- David, M. K. & Manan, S. A. (2012). Language-in-education and human rights: the case of non-elite English-medium schools in Pakistan. Paper presented at IALL’s 13th International Conference on Language Law "Language Rights, Inclusion and the Prevention of Ethnic Conflicts (December 13-17, 2012), Chiang Mai, Thailand
- David, M. K. & Manan, S. A. (2016). National Languages – Medium of Instruction – Empowerment or Disempowerment? Paper presented at International Conference on Language Policy in Multicultural and Multilingual Settings (February 8-11, 2016), Mandalay, Myanmar.
- Manan, S. A. (2017). A Problematic Encounter—Students Negotiating Language(s) in the Classroom. Paper presented as a panelist at the Language and Learning Conference (SAHE), (May 19-20, 2017), Lahore, Pakistan.
- Manan, S. A. (2017). Language-in-education policy and practices in Balochistan. Paper presented (as panelist at the Provincial round table conference on language policy and practices (SAHE), (September 11, 2017), Quetta, Pakistan.
- Manan, S. A. (2017). Mother tongue based education: analysis of problems and prospects. Paper presented as invited speaker in International Pashto Conference (Pashto Academy), (September 21-23, 2017), Quetta, Pakistan.
- Manan, S. A. (2017). Language Policy and Planning in Pakistan: Rhetorics and realities (as a panelist). Paper presented as a panelist in International Conference on Language and Literature (USICOLL-2017), (November 6-8, 2017), University of Sindh, Jamshoro, Pakistan.
- David, M. K. & Manan, S. A. (2018). Language Policy and Sustainability of Languages: Focus on Malaysia, Pakistan and Ukraine. Paper presented at the Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics International Conference (MAALIC), Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya (December 3-4, 2018), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Manan, S. A. (2019). Breaking from status maintenance syndrome: applied linguists’ role in language revitalization. Paper presented as a plenary guest speaker at the 1st LUAWMS International Conference on Theoretical & Applied Linguistics, (January 28-29, 2018), Lasbela University of Agriculture, Water and Marine Sciences, Uthal, Balochistan