Lynne Parmenter is a Professor at GSE. She obtained her PhD from the University of Durham (UK), writing her thesis on the impact of internationalization policy in junior high schools in Japan. Before joining GSE in February 2013, she taught at schools and universities in Japan and the UK for 20 years. Her research interests focus mainly on global citizenship education and internationalization of education, but also include language and intercultural education.
EDUC 740 Doctoral Seminar
Byram, M., & Parmenter, L. (Eds) (2012). The Common European Framework of Reference: The Globalisation of Language Education Policy. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
• Parmenter, L., & Byram, M. (2015). Global Citizenship. In J. Bennett (Ed.). SAGE Encyclopedia of Intercultural Competence. London: SAGE.
• Parmenter, L. (2014). Globalization and education in Japan. In N. Stromquist & K. Monkman (Eds.). Education and Globalization: Integration and Contestation across Cultures (2nd ed.) (pp.201-215). Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
• Parmenter, L. (2013). Power and place in the discourse of global citizenship education. In V. Andreotti (Ed.). The Political Economy of Global Citizenship Education. London: Routledge.
• Parmenter, L. (2011). Global citizenship, cultural change and education policy in Japan and New Zealand. In W. Ascher & J. Heffron (Eds). Cultural Change and Persistence: New Perspectives on Development (pp.367-380). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Parmenter, L. (2010). Becoming intercultural: a comparative analysis of national education policies. In Y. Tsai & S. Houghton (Eds). Becoming intercultural: Inside and outside the classroom (pp.66-88). Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
• Parmenter, L., & Byram, M. (2010). An overview of the international influences of the CEFR. In M. Schmidt, N. Naganuma, F. O’Dwyer, A. Imig & K. Sakai (Eds.). Can-do statements in language education in Japan and beyond (pp.9-17).Tokyo: Asahi Press.
• Parmenter, L., Mizuyama, M., & Taniguchi, K. (2008). Citizenship Education in Japan. In J. Arthur, I. Davies & C. Hahn (Eds.). SAGE Handbook of Education for Citizenship and Democracy (pp.205-214). London: SAGE.
• Tomita, Y., & Parmenter, L. (2007). Possibilities for education for critical intercultural competence in Japanese education. In T. Suzuki, F. Takemae & K. Oi (Eds.). Critical thinking education (pp.164-193). Kyoto: Sekai Shisousha. [in Japanese]
• Parmenter. L. (2006). Beyond the nation? Potential for intercultural citizenship education in Japan. In G. Alred, M. Byram & M. Fleming (Eds.). Intercultural citizenship education: concepts and comparisons (pp.144-154). Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
• Parmenter, L. (2004). A solid foundation: Citizenship education in Japan. In W.O. Lee, D. Grossman, K. Kennedy & G. Fairbrother (Eds.). Citizenship Education in Asia and the Pacific: Concepts and Issues (pp.81-95). Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong Comparative Education Research Centre & Kluwer Academic.
• Parmenter, L. (2003). Describing and defining intercultural communicative competence: - international perspectives. In M. Byram (Ed.). Intercultural competence (pp.119-147). Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
• Audigier, F., & Parmenter, L. (2002). Education a la citoyennete. In D. Groux (Ed.). Dictionnaire d’education comparee (pp.213-218). Paris: L’Harmattan.
• Parmenter, L., & Tomita, Y. (2001). Virtual intercultural competence: A programme for Japanese elementary school students. In M. Byram, A. Nichols & D. Stevens (Eds). Developing Intercultural Competence in Practice (pp.133-145). Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
• Parmenter, L. (2001). Internationalisation. In M. Byram (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning (pp.521-522). London: Routledge.
• Parmenter, L. (2000). Internationalization in Japanese education – current issues and future prospects. In N. Stromquist & K. Monkman (Eds.). Education and Globalization: Integration and Contestation across Cultures (pp. 237-254). Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
Refereed journal articles
• Prowse, A., Aldred, S., & Parmenter, L. (under review). Building academic staff capacity to internationalise curricula in a large metropolitan university: a case study of a staff development initiative. Under review for the International Journal of Academic Development.
• Davies, I., Mizuyama, M., Ikeno, N., Parmenter, L., & Mori, C. (2013). Political Literacy in Japan and England. Citizenship, Social and Economics Education, 12(3), 163-173.
• Parmenter, L. (2012). Community and citizenship in post-disaster Japan. Journal of Social Science Education, 11(4).
• Parmenter, L. (2011). Power and place in the discourse of global citizenship education. Globalisation, societies and education, 9(3-4), 367-380
• Parmenter, L. (2006). Asian? Citizenship and identity in Japanese education. Citizenship Teaching and Learning, 2(2), 8-20.
• Parmenter, L. (2000). Internationalisation in the foreign language classroom: a comparison of Japanese and British education policy. JABAET journal, 4, 93-105.
• Parmenter, L. (2000). Reconceptualising the curriculum: English, internationalization and integrated learning. Eigo Tenbou, 107.
• Parmenter, L., C. Lam, F. Seto, Y. Tomita (2000). Locating self in the world: Elementary school children in Japan, Macau and Hong Kong. Compare, 30(2), 133-144.
• Parmenter, L. (1999). Constructing National Identity in a Changing World: perspectives in Japanese education. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 20(4), 461-471.
• Parmenter, L. (1999). Structuring Students’ Knowledge Base of the World: the effects of internationalization on the Japanese school curriculum. Educational Journal, 26(2)–27(1), 13-36.
• Parmenter, L., & Moody, M. (1999). Internationalisation in the foreign language classroom. ARELE, 10, 143-152.
• Other articles/papers/conference proceedings
• Parmenter, L. (2001). The Glocal Community: Educating foreign children in Fukushima’s schools. Fukushima Daigaku Chiiki Kenkyuu, 12(3), 3-18.
• Parmenter, L., & Tomita, Y. (2000). English language education and internationalization. AILA ’99 CD-ROM.
• Parmenter, L. (2000). Mondialisation et education. Recherche et Formation pour les professions de l’education, 33,117-121.
• Other educational publications
• Leonard, T., & Parmenter, L. (2010) British Traditions. Tokyo: Macmillan Language House (English/cultural studies textbook for EFL university students).
• Parmenter, L., & Tomita, Y. (April 2000-March 2001). Perspectives on Japanese foreign language education. Monthly series in Eigo Kyouiku [National English teachers’ journal] [in Japanese].
Graduate School of Education
53 Kabanbay Batyr Ave.,
Astana, 010000, Republic of Kazakhstan
Office: + 7 7172 70 66 26