to the Graduate School of Education (GSE) at Nazarbayev University!
The GSE will begin offering its M.Sc. programme in September 2013. It is dedicated to becoming a world-class centre for teaching and research on education, with a focus on educational reform in Kazakhstan and Central Asia, while retaining a broad international approach. We seek to promote and assist in the implementation of cutting-edge research on educational challenges and issues from preschool through university levels.
Initially, there will be two specialisations in the M.Sc. programme: School Leadership and Higher Education. Within each of these specialisations the following topics will be covered: instruction and pedagogy, curriculum design and development, evaluation and assessment, governance, and leadership. Working with our partner institutions, the University of Cambridge and the University of Pennsylvania, the GSE will form the core of a group of academics and practitioners dedicated to education understood holistically, both as a lifelong journey and as a discipline which seeks to wed research and practice.
The GSE seeks to:
- develop highly qualified educators committed to the continuous improvement of education and society;
- offer an opportunity for continuing professional development to those involved in education;
- modernise educational theory and practice though the integration of scholarship and instruction;
- prepare future generations of educational researchers and policy analysts to the highest academic standards;
- improve the scientific basis for conducting educational research in the region;
- disseminate knowledge and research findings, and promote good practice in teaching and learning, to foster higher educational standards of educational performance in schools and universities;
- create opportunities for conducting joint, collaborative research with partner universities;
- serve the local community and engage in debate and discussion to improve educational institutioins and policies, while engaging in service and public engagement; and
- function as an international institution, aligned to the Bologna Process and the European Credit Transfer System.